Wednesday 28 April 2010

Karma to singe...

Sorry but I couldn't resist…

Last Thursday (22/04) we were due to play the Pulse Bar in Barnsley, but we had the most awesome bit of luck...

As I recall it, I was in Leeds the Friday prior catching up with good friend and sex-pest ‘Le RequinFelton, when I received a call from Ecks asking if I wanted to play a show with Karma to Burn at the Corporation in Sheff, so obviously I told him to fuck right off and put the phone down, treating that infamous Barnsley twat with the contempt he deserved…

Turns out, though, that this wasn’t one of Eckers’ delusional episodes, but was, in fact, a bona fide gig... a fact Ecks was pleased to capitalise on… it did mean we had to snub the Pulse Bar, which I never like to do - as a commitment is a commitment for a reason - but gigs like this don’t happen often – if ever – and so I’d like to think that our decision to go for the Corp gig is understandable…

Anyway, the boring work of tightening up the set and making set-list calls worked in our favour, and even though there was a spot of sound-check panic and flapping (courtesy of yours truly) we hit the stage like a set of ‘greased cougars from planet Big Bollocks’…

We had an awesome onstage sound, Karma to Burn were very kind and let us use their bass rig, and as we fired the set up we had a respectable amount of folk to play to… by the end the room was filling up nicely; we had such a good time onstage, one of the best shows I’ve played… being in a shitty little metal band, you don’t often get the chance to say that totally honestly, but this time it was heartfelt… and as such, we were/are grateful to the folk who helped make it happen.. Slomo for sorting the show out; Joel, Lee and Jaff for making us feel welcome and making it easy for us and Big Ager for nigh on saving our skins!!!

We sold some CDs, signed some autographs(!) and then got absolutely battered by ‘traffic-lighting’ a monster grifter and watched Year Long Disaster and Karma to Burn blow the Corp to pieces – they were so, so amazing…

…if you weren’t there, you totally missed out… if you were there; thanks for coming and let me know if you think I’m exaggerating! I’ve spent this last week walking round like I own the place!!!

...the nicest thing, for me, was that our dressing room (which we did eventually find) turned out to be a practice room - the same practice room, in fact, that I had used to prepare for my first proper gig when I was a wee chabby of 16... quite moving...

So now, after the adrenaline and ego-rush has subsided somewhat, we’re looking forward to May, which will prove to be a busy time for us…

We’ve got the Hand of Grief show to look forward to (gonna get to see my very own Greggy T on stage for the first time since I saw him play with Insomnia in, what, 1998?); then there is Shitstock, where we get to see all that Rotherham Metal can muster, as well as the treat that will be Colonel Blast! Then Bank Holiday Monday we do the Neurotica All-Dayer and get to check out some cool bands there too (I, for one, am particularly looking forward to Awooga)…

Then we’ve got Birmingham, Leeds and London… and hopefully, with a massive, steaming pile of luck we may even be playing Sheff again; The Haunted are playing O2 academy on the 28th and we hope against hope that there will be a wee slot for us bummers to support ‘em (wouldn't hurt if any of you groundlings were to send the O2 an email demanding a touch of the Megafaunage!)… if this happens I will turn in to a little giggle schoolgirl and start writing Peter Dovling’s name in hearts on my satchel… as far a regional Metal sounds go, Scandinavian Metal pisses on just about everything… and Mr. Dovling is a proper hero of mine…

So then after May we’ll be hiding away for spot of recording, get some demos knocked together and maybe pop out in July for another run of gigs before we totally go under the radar for the summer…

…and when Autumn comes… well… hopefully something awesome will happen…

b!x

1 comment:

  1. BING! Eh up - did Luke show you those graphics I did? Follow my blog, i want to appear to have readers (you don't actually have to read it... unless you're fancying a lovely vinage brooch, cos i could probably sort that out for you ;) )

    Will be seeing you at el gig-o tomorrow.

    Rach x

    ReplyDelete